Your Ad Here

Saturday 27 August 2011

Cuttack's own Anna Hazare


CUTTACK: Expressing support to Anna Hazare's anti-corruption movement, a 74-year-old businessman from Cuttack is on fast for the past three days. Clad in white dhoti-kurta, Jagdish Gupta has been observing fast at the old jail premises in Dargha bazaar area since August 24.

The senior citizen has claimed that he will continue his fast until the demands of Hazare for a stronger Lokpal bill is fulfilled by the Central government. Inspired by Anna, Gupta has taken the decision to fast even though his family members were against it.

"My children were worried about my health and were not in favour of my decision to fast. But I managed to convince them. I explained to them if Anna can fast for a noble cause at the age of 74 then why can't I do the same," Gupta said. "Many people are coming forward to support Anna's movement in their own way and I also decided to support him by observing fast," he added.

In fact the septuagenarian has turned into a local Anna for the denizens of the millennium city. People from all walks of life are thronging to the place of his protest to meet him and express their solidarity. A Jain saint Virendra Muniji was also seen paying a visit to Gupta on Friday.

"I can't go to Delhi and meet Anna, so I have come here to support Guptaji in this fight against corruption," said Sudhakar Das, a shopkeeper.

Gupta feels that Anna's strong Lokpal bill will help in curbing corruption in society. "A strong law is definitely required to deal with corruption issues. Due to lack of efficient laws, bribe takers are getting away easily," the septuagenarian said.

Gupta has been surviving only on water for the past three days. In the night he sleeps in a tent erected at Dargha bazaar. "I will continue my protest till Annaji ends his fast or the government accepts the demand for a strong Lokpal law to root out corruption, which is spreading like cancer in our society," he maintained.

0 comments:

Post a Comment