Your Ad Here

Monday 29 August 2011

Om Puri apologizes for derogatory remarks against politicians


MUMBAI: Actor Om Puri on Monday apologized for the language in his speech at the Ramlila Maidan during Anna Hazare's campaign against corruption.

"I shouldn't have used words like anpadh, nalayak (incompetent) and 'ganwar'( a word often used to describe a backward and an illiterate person.) That is not the language of Om Puri but when I was up there on stage I became the voice of the people. I should've stuck being myself," the actor said.

Om Puri said he had been upset with the government for not paying attention to the deteriorating health of the 74-year-old Gandhian.

"I feared for his life and the repurssion it would've had on people in case anything went wrong with Annaji. But I was most hurt with the Congress MP who used derogatory remarks against Anna. How come no action was taken against him?."

He further added, "Today Lalu Prasad Yadav says he does not know me but he has made statements like the roads of Bihar are like Om Puri's cheeks isn't that derogatory?"

On Monday, members from both houses of Parliament moved privilege notices against Om Puri for making derogatory remarks againds them. The actor said he had not received any notice as yet but if he was called he would explain himself to the Parliament.

"If they accept my case fine if they don't I will accept take the punishment that is given to me."

Privilege notices were also given against former IPS officer and key Team Anna member Kiran Bedi for her caustic comments gainst the political class. Both Puri and Bedi made the remarks in a no holds barred attack against politicians at Anna Hazare's fast venue at Ramlila maidan last week.

The notices were under the consideration of the Chair in the Lok Sabha and the Rajya Sabha.

0 comments:

Post a Comment